Nursing and Midwifery Office
The Chief Nurse and Midwifery Officer (CNMO) and the Nursing and Midwifery Office (NMO) provide high level advice and leadership on nursing and midwifery professional, workforce and policy matters across WA Health.
Led by CNMO, Adjunct Associate Professor Karen Bradley, the NMO sets the strategic direction of the nursing and midwifery professions through engagement, partnership and collaboration with nurses and midwives working in private and public sectors, healthcare-related industries, education providers, as well as consumers and other key stakeholders.
In 2014, the WA Health Nursing and Midwifery Strategic Plan 2015-2017 was developed to set the State’s strategic priorities, aligned to the WA Health Strategic Intent, national and international nursing and midwifery strategic priorities and also in response to the Australia’s Future Health Workforce – Nurses Detailed report (August 2014).
Key deliverables are focused on a set of priorities for the nursing and midwifery workforce and professions that will support all health services achieving their goals including:
- Developing a sustainable nursing and midwifery workforce from novice through to expert and in light of projected future workforce supply constraints
- Building leadership capacity and capability to optimise performance, outcomes and the development of cultures of compassionate care and patient safety
- Innovative models of care that promote nurses and midwives working to their full scope of practice to deliver safe, accessible, effective and efficient care and support sustainable health service delivery in partnership with consumers
- Better use and access to evidence, data and information to inform decision making, improvement and performance outcomes.
The NMO works collaboratively via a professional leadership network with the WA Health Nursing and Midwifery Advisory Council (WAHNMAC). This group represent nursing and midwifery executive leaders from each of the five Health Services and the specialty areas of mental health and midwifery.
The NMO and WAHNMAC monitor and report progress of achievements in delivering upon the WA Health Nursing and Midwifery Strategic Direction 2015-2017 (PDF 1.24MB).
Achievements - 2016/2017
Achievements - 2015/2016
- April to June 2016 Achievement Report (PDF 1.57MB)
- January to March 2016 Achievement Report (PDF 1.59MB)
- July to December 2015 Achievements Report (PDF 1.21MB)