Delivering a Healthy WA
Nursing and midwifery in Western Australia

Requirements to work in WA

A man sat against a tree playing a didgeridoo with Perth CBD  skyscrapers in the background

To be eligible for employment as a nurse or a midwife in Western Australia, you must obtain the following:

  • professional registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
  • a criminal record clearance and pass a working with children screening
  • have Australian or New Zealand citizenship, Australian permanent residency or a visa that allows you to work in Australia.


To work as a nurse or midwife you need to be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

The Nursing and Midwifery Office cannot advise you in regard to your eligibility or application for registration. For queries related to registration as a nurse or midwife please contact Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

English language requirements (PDF) for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

Further information is available from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia's frequently asked questions and fact sheets.

I’m a new graduate nurse or midwife

Visit Forms to find out the process for students of Australian academic institutions who are completing their studies and who have never been registered or practiced as a health practitioner in Australia or overseas.

Already registered as a nurse or midwife in Australia?

You can check your registration status via the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency’s Register of Practitioners.

I’m from New Zealand

Nurses or midwives who are currently registered in New Zealand are eligible to apply for registration under the Application for Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition as a Registered Nurse, Enrolled Nurse or Midwife.

I’m from overseas

Nurses and midwives who qualified as a nurse or midwife overseas and are not currently registered in Australia or New Zealand should review all of the information available at the Nursing and Midwifery Board’s internationally qualified nurses and midwives webpage

Criminal screening

Before starting work with WA Health, all potential employees need to pass a criminal record clearance and those who will work in an area that cares for children (under the age of 18) will also need to pass a working with children check (external site). Potential employees will be provided information on how to do this when offers of employment are made by the individual health services

Working visas

We welcome the diversity and wealth of experience that overseas applicants bring to our hospitals and health services.

There are a number of visa options available to nurses and midwives entering WA.

WA Health is able to assist with sponsorship for temporary or permanent visas. However, please note sponsorship is currently only negotiated with experienced nurses and midwives applying for positions in areas of critical shortage, ie midwifery, mental health, paediatrics, and regional areas.

To apply for sponsorship, you must do the following:

  1. Get registered as a Registered Nurse or Midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
  2. Apply for a job (but only once registered, as above)
  3. When successful in being offered a job - negotiate sponsorship with the employing hospital/health service.

Enrolled nurses are generally not eligible for sponsorship with WA Health. Enrolled nurses are paid under the minimum salary set by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship as a requirement for sponsorship.

Overseas registered nurses and midwives can view the range of non-sponsored visa options available to them, including Working Holiday Visas at Department of Immigration and Citizenship (external site). However, WA Health encourages all overseas nurses and midwives to follow the steps above, even if not applying for a sponsored visa. WA Health does not advise any overseas nurse or midwife to make any major life decisions, such as resigning from current job, selling property, or moving to Western Australia without confirmation of their registration with Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and a firm job offer.

We are unable to assist with sponsorship for a visa for nurses or midwives to complete bridging courses, English language testing or any other training or education based in WA.

More about moving to WA:

» Why live and work in WA?
» Bridging your registration
» Working for WA Health